Sunday, October 2, 2011

Catch Up Time

It's been too long since I've posted anything, so I'm just gonna do a quick recap of everything. It probably won't be too exciting, but I'm really doing it for my own records (since it's easier than writing in my journal) than for you guys.

I like my home evening group; they're pretty cool. Home evenings are so-so. We usually end up starting 15 minutes late and then having a lesson and treat and usually no real activity. But we're working on that, they'll get better as the year progresses I'm sure.

Sundays are interesting. I usually wake up and get ready really slowly and then read my scriptures and then sit around wondering what I should do until church at 2. Then after church, I feel like I have no time because I have to make and eat dinner and I always hope to call someone before ward prayer at 8. But it usually ends up that I talk to people after ward prayer and I go to bed late even though I have an early morning on Mondays. But it's alright because I love everybody I talk to. :)

I started tutoring at an elementary school on Mondays so that I could get in some service to put on my scholarship applications and such. I didn't realize that if you have a high enough GPA, they give you the scholarship regardless. And my American Heritage class is going to do a service project together, so I don't even need it for that. Oh well, service doesn't hurt.

As for my club that I'm president of, that's going alright. Our first activity will be on Wednesday. I went to lots of meetings and training that really seem pointless to me because my club doesn't really DO anything and all the other officers seem pretty capable of their jobs. I was all worried I'd have to worry about fundraising, too, but it turns out that our budget is big enough that we don't need it. That makes things a lot easier for me. I don't really have to do anything. But it makes me sad when I have to wake up early on Tuesdays (which is my only day of the school week where I don't have an 8 o'clock class) to get to my meeting. :/

On Tuesday, we had an apartment of boys over for dinner. We made them some spaghetti and garlic bread, with a side salad and fruit pizza for dessert. I made the dessert, Marley made the spaghetti (the sauce from scratch) and we all helped with the garlic bread. Sarah cleaned and got extra chairs. The boys were really nice. One of them is a returned missionary and he was really polite and always made sure everyone was getting enough attention. One was funny and he seems like a pretty cool kid. The other one was a bit strange and talked about drugs a lot. And said that he was rude to his mom a lot. I think it'll probably be a bit of a challenge for him when he decides he should get married. It was nice getting to know more people in our ward. We decided that we would just continue to ask boys over on Sundays during ward prayer, hopefully for Tuesdays because that's what works best with our schedules.

As for Wednesdays, three Wednesdays ago Stephen officially asked me to be his girlfriend. So, we'd been unofficially dating for about a month and officially dating for two weeks when I broke up with him this past Wednesday. I told him that since this is my freshman year I feel like I should be spending time with lots of people making lots of new friends and that since I didn't really have much of a chance to date in high school, that I should be dating lots of different boys so I know what I'm looking for in a husband. So, we can still date, but we aren't exclusive. But we still have lunches together during the week. And he and two of his roommates came over for the morning session of Conference yesterday.

Speaking of Conference, I decided I wanted to make the traditional Conference morning cinnamon rolls. I started the dough on Friday night so that I wouldn't have to wake up too early on Saturday. But apparently I should have let the yeast activate or something because they didn't rise at all overnight. It probably doesn't help that I put the bowl on the top shelf of the fridge (my shelf) where essentially everything freezes because it's too cold there. So, freaking out, I started a second batch, which also seemed to have a yeast problem. I was upset. I called mom and yelled for the first time in a few months. I felt bad. It was a stupid continuation of Friday night where I was frustrated out of my mind because we couldn't get the stupid tv to connect to my laptop. Eventually, through the patience of my father and after crying embarrassingly in front of an employee at Best Buy (an attractive employee, too) we got the tv to work. But anyway, the cinnamon rolls were frustrating me. About 45 minutes before Conference though, after putting both batches in the warm oven to rise, the dough finally rose enough and I was able to finish the cinnamon rolls about 15 minutes before the morning session ended. We ate most of the first batch and gave the entirety of the second batch to a few of the boys' apartments who were in our ward.

Yesterday was also Sarah's birthday. I got her a Horcrux necklace from Barnes and Noble. I made Stephen and his roommates sing her Happy Birthday (which was QUITE the experience). And then her friends decided they wanted to take her to a Haunted Circus in Draper. She invited me along, but I didn't have any money. It seemed that Josh was adamant that I go, though, so he paid for my ticket. It was the best haunted house I'd ever been to, which is good because the tickets cost $20 each. Sarah's friends are pretty cool. They are funny and it is enjoyable to simply sit there and listen to them talk to each other. Josh is the nicest kid you'd ever meet in your life. He even opens doors for girls and stuff. Dillan was pretty funny, but pretty much the only thing I really learned about him (even though I'd already known) was that he's gay. He made a lot of gay jokes and brought it up at every possible moment it seemed like. And Kelsey is cool, too. She was funny and she was nice, always making sure I felt involved. It was a fun night. Afterwards, Sarah and I bonded for a few hours since we didn't want to go to bed even though it was early morning by that time. Marley was with her family in West Jordan for Conference.

I don't think there's really much else to report. If I think of something else I want to talk about, I'll post it later. Oh, but I did take a few of my tests. Book of Mormon: I got a 96% but then they took out a question because nearly everyone missed it (including me) so now I got 100%. Physical Science: 100%. Biology: 93%. I have my first American Heritage midterm on Tuesday, and that's the one I'm actually worried about, so I think I'll actually study for that one. Wish me luck! :)

2 comments:

Victim of Google Data Mining said...

Good Luck!

Of course if you ever learned the glory of History from your dear 'ol dad you wouldn't need luck ... would you? :)

Stephanie said...

Apparently that would have helped. I only got a 82% on my American Heritage test today. :'(